I wish I had a picture of us for this post, but somehow that slipped my mind in the craziness of the day. On Saturday Matt and I participated in "Rock the Parkway." Matt ran the 10K and I ran my first 5K. We did it in honor of our friend Megan McBride Franz who died of cancer two years ago at barely the age of 31. Megan's younger sister Sara decided to run her first 5K and created a "Team Megan" for the event. She said before Megan died that she talked to Sara about getting healthy and listening to her body. Sara challenged others to join her and follow Megan's words.
Matt and I decided this was the kick-start we needed to get exercising again and we joined the Y at the start of February. I followed the Couch to 5K training program and Matt, having run before, followed the Couch to 10K. It's been a great experience for both of us and I know we intend to keep it going.
Saturday was a beautiful morning. Matt ran the 10K in 59:39 and I finished the 5K in 36:22. I crossed the finish line with 3 of my Kappa pledge sisters. "Team Megan" was strong that morning and all decked out in the t-shirt shown above. The team raised almost $5000 for Megan's endowment at MD Anderson Cancer Center as well. I am so thankful to the McBride sisters for giving me the inspiration to do this. I know we all must have made our friend proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment